Friday, May 18, 2012

Throne Away

I came across this most awesome chair during a recent thrifting excursion. I could not believe that someone would let this fabulous chair go, so I decided I'd make it over for my girls. After wrestling the sucker into my car and a quick trip to Lowes, the Throne project was underway!


Here is the original chair

Back view of the original chair

I started off by giving it a good cleaning. I used a little Lysol and bucket of water to clean off any dirt and dust.

My little bucket that could.

Next, I used a 3M sandblaster (#60) to remove as much of the original paint as possible.  I used the #60 which was the coarsest sander that I could find.

After sanding it down, I used a Kilz oil-based spray primer and let it dry for an hour.

I let my kids pick out the color. I decided to use spray rather than hand paint in order to save time.

Primer and Paint

The mama hard at work

In between coats of pink, I let each coat dry for an hour and then used the #220 SandBlaster to buff between coats. I LOVE this tack cloth too - it's perfect for wiping away imperfections.

Tack Cloth and Scuff Sander

I finally got it painted and voila!

Pink dust everywhere

And now my princesses finally have a throne to call their own!

Here are the costs.
The chair was $15 from Savers.
Paint, primer and tack cloth were $15.85 from Lowes.
I owned the sandblasters and the pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it

Follow Me on Pinterest